- Is amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1974
- Is amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1975
- Is amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1977
- Is commenced by Application of the Water Research Act, 1971, in the Territory of South-West Africa
Water Research Act, 1971
Act 34 of 1971
- Published in South African Government Gazette 3105 on 19 May 1971
- Assented to on 7 May 1971
- Commenced on 27 October 1972 by Application of the Water Research Act, 1971, in the Territory of South-West Africa
- [This is the version of this document from 1 July 1978 and includes any amendments published up to 1 December 2023.]
- [Amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1974 (Act 16 of 1974) on 1 April 1974]
- [Amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1975 (Act 37 of 1975) on 7 May 1975]
- [Amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1977 (Act 106 of 1977) on 1 July 1978]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context otherwise indicates, any expression to which a meaning has been assigned in the Water Act, 1956 (Act No. 54 of 1956), shall, when used in this Act, have the same meaning, and -[The Water Act 54 of 1956 was repealed by the Water Resources Management Act 24 of 2004, but that Act never came into force and has been superseded by the Water Resources Management Act 11 of 2013 – which also repeals Act 54 of 1956 but is not yet in force.]“commission” means the Water Research Commission established by section 2;“financial year” means the period from 1 April 1974 to 31 December 1974 and thereafter the period from 1 January in any year to 31 December in the same year, in each case both days inclusive;[The definition of “financial year” is substituted by Act 16 of 1974. If this Act was not applicable to South West Africa, then the original definition would still apply: “’financial year’ means the period from the first day of April in any year to the thirty-first day of March in the year next succeeding, both days inclusive;”.]“fund” means the Water Research Fund established by section 12;“university” means a university established by Act of Parliament.
2. Establishment and general objects of Water Research Commission
3. Functions of the commission
4. Constitution of commission, and period of office of its members
5. Advisory members of commission
6. Remuneration and allowances of members of commissionMembers of the commission (including co-opted members) who are not in the full-time employment of the State shall be paid in respect of the performance of their duties as such members, such remuneration and allowances as the Minister in consultation with the Minister of Finance may determine.
7. Meetings of commission
8. Validity of decision taken by, or act performed under authority of, the commissionNo decision taken by the commission or act performed under authority of the commission, shall be invalid by reason only of a defect in the appointment of a person purporting to be a member of, or the existence of a vacancy on, the commission, or of the fact that a person who was not entitled to sit and act as a member of the commission sat or acted as a member of the commission at the time when the decision was taken or the act was authorized, if the decision was taken or the act was authorized by the requisite majority of the members of the commission who were present at the time and entitled to sit and act as members.
9. Rules of the commissionThe commission may make rules in relation to the procedure at meetings of the commission, including the keeping of minutes of the proceedings at meetings of the commission, and such other matters as it may consider necessary or expedient for the due performance of the functions of the commission.
10. Officers and employees of commission
10A. Committees of the commissionThe commission may establish committees, consisting of members of the commission, for such purposes as it may deem fit, and may at any time dissolve any committee established by it.[section 10A inserted by Act 37 of 1975]
10B. Delegation of powers by commissionThe commission may delegate any power of powers conferred upon it by or under this Act to a member of the commission or to an officer in the full-time service of the commission or to a committee established under section 10A, to be exercised by such member or officer or committee subject to such directions or conditions (if any) as the commission may give or determine from time to time.[section 10B inserted by Act 37 of 1975]
11. Levying of rates and charges
12. Establishment of Water Research FundThere is hereby established a fund to be known as the Water Research Fund, into which shall be deposited all moneys which become payable to the commission.
13. Administration of the fund
14. Auditing and annual report
15. Application of Act to South-West AfricaThe State President may by proclamation in the Gazette declare any of or all the provisions of this Act and of any amendment thereof to be applicable in the territory of South-West Africa (including the Eastern Caprivi Zipfel) or any portion thereof.
16. Short title and commencementThis Act shall be called the Water Research Act, 1971, and shall come into operation on a date to be fixed by the State President by proclamation in the Gazette.
History of this document
01 July 1978 this version
Amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1977
07 May 1975
Amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1975
01 April 1974
Amended by Water Research Amendment Act, 1974
27 October 1972
07 May 1971