Development Brigade Corporation Act, 1992
Act 32 of 1992
- Published in Government Gazette no. 563 on 30 December 1992
- Assented to on 16 December 1992
- Commenced on 1 February 1993 by Government Notice of 1996
- [This is the version of this document from 30 December 1992 and includes any amendments published up to 6 October 2022.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context otherwise indicates -“Board” means the Board of directors referred to in section 5(1);“Corporation” means the Development Brigade Corporation established by section 2(1);“director” means a director of the Board appointed in terms of section 5(2);“general manager” means the general manager appointed in terms of section 13(1); and“Minister” means the Minister or Ministers designated by the President by proclamation in the Gazette.
2. Establishment of Corporation
3. Objects of CorporationThe objects of the Corporation shall be to engage in agricultural and other business activities for the purpose of providing training and skills development opportunities to unemployed persons and such other persons as the Minister may determine by notice in the Gazette.
4. Powers of Corporation
5. Board of Corporation
6. Disqualification of directorsNo person shall be appointed as director or as acting director if he or she -
7. Remuneration and allowances of directors
8. Appointment of acting directors
9. Period of office of directorsA director shall, subject to section 10, hold office for a period of three years but shall at the expiration of his or her term of office be eligible for re-appointment.
10. Vacation of office of directors and filling of vacancies
11. Meetings of Board
12. Committees of Board
13. Appointment of general manager and other employees
14. Delegation of powers
15. Duty of directors to disclose interest in certain contracts
16. Financing of Corporation
17. Financial yearThe financial year of the Corporation shall end on 31 March in each year.
18. Auditing, furnishing of information and annual reports
19. Rendering of financial assistance and transfer of assets to CorporationThe Minister, in consultation with the Minister of finance, may, subject to such conditions as the Minister may determine -
20. ExemptionsNotwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in any law -
21. Restriction of liabilityNo director or person in the employment of the Corporation shall be liable in respect of anything done or omitted in good faith and not attributable to negligence in the exercise or performance of a power or duty in terms of this Act.
22. Winding up of CorporationThe Corporation shall not be wound up except by or under the authority of an Act of Parliament.
23. Transfer of staff and funds
24. Short title and commencementThis Act shall be called the Development Brigade Corporation Act, 1992, and shall come into operation on a date to be determined by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
History of this document
01 February 1993
30 December 1992 this version
Published in Government Gazette number 563
16 December 1992