Vexatious Proceedings Act, 1956
Act 3 of 1956
- Published in South African Government Gazette 5632 on 17 February 1956
- Assented to on 6 February 1956
- Commenced on 17 February 1956
- [This is the version of this document from 17 February 1956 and includes any amendments published up to 1 December 2023.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context otherwise indicates -“court” means any provincial or local division of the Supreme Court of South Africa and includes the High Court of South-West Africa;“State Attorney” means the officer appointed under paragraph (a) of sub-section (2) of section two of the State Attorney Act, 1925 (Act No. 25 of 1925).[The State Attorney Act 25 of 1925 (SA) was replaced by the State Attorney Act 56 of 1957 (SA) (SA GG 5894), which was replaced in South West Africa by the RSA Government Attorney Proclamation, R.161 of 1982 (RSA GG 8367). This Proclamation converts the Windhoek branch of the Office of the State Attorney in Pretoria into the Government Attorney’s Office for the Territory of South West Africa. It was brought into force on 1 April 1984 by RSA Proc. 52 /1984 (RSA GG 9162).]
2. Powers of court to impose restrictions on the institution of vexatious legal proceedings
3. Application of Act to South-West AfricaThis Act shall apply also in the territory of South-West Africa.
4. Short titleThis Act shall be called the Vexatious Proceedings Act, 1956.
History of this document
17 February 1956 this version
06 February 1956