Formalities in respect of Leases of Land Act, 1969
Act 18 of 1969
- Published in South African Government Gazette no. 2318 on 26 March 1969
- Assented to on 13 March 1969
- Commenced on 1 January 1970
- [This is the version of this document from 26 March 1969 and includes any amendments published up to 6 October 2022.]
1. Formalities in respect of leases of land
2. Application to South-West AfricaThis Act and any amendment thereof shall apply also in the territory of South-West Africa.
3. Repeal of section 2 of Act 50 of 1956Section 2 of the General Law Amendment Act, 1956, is hereby repealed.[Section 2 of the General Law Amendment Act 50 of 1956 (SA GG 5703) contains no indication that it was applicable to South West Africa, nor was Act 50 of 1956 made applicable to South West Africa as a whole. Section 2 reads as follows: ][“2. No lease of land shall be invalid merely by reason of the fact that such lease is not in writing: Provided that no lease of land which is entered into for a period of not less than ten years or for the natural life of the lessee or any other person mentioned in the lease, or which is renewable from time to time at the will of the lessee indefinitely or for periods which together with the first period of the lease amount in all to not less than ten years, and no cession of such lease, shall be valid as against third parties if executed after the commencement of this Act, unless registered against the title deeds of the leased land.”]
4. Short title and commencementThis Act shall be called the Formalities in respect of Leases of Land Act, 1969, and shall come into operation on the first day of January, 1970.
History of this document
01 January 1970
26 March 1969 this version
Published in South African Government Gazette number 2318
13 March 1969