Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards Act, 1977
Act 40 of 1977
- Published in South African Government Gazette no. 5504 on 13 April 1977
- Assented to on 25 March 1977
- Commenced on 13 April 1977
- [This is the version of this document from 13 April 1977 and includes any amendments published up to 6 October 2022.]
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context otherwise indicates -“certified copy” means a copy authenticated in the manner in which foreign documents may be authenticated to enable them to be produced in any court;“court” means a court of a provincial or local division of the Supreme Court of South Africa;“foreign arbitral award” means an arbitral award -(a)made outside the Republic; or(b)the enforcement of which is not permissible in terms of the Arbitration Act, 1965 (Act No. 42 of 1965), but is not in conflict with the provisions of this Act.
2. Foreign arbitral award may be made order of court and enforced as such
3. Application for award to be made order of courtApplication for an order of court mentioned in section 2(1) shall be made to any court and shall -
4. When order of court may be refused
5. Short titleThis Act shall be called the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards Act, 1977.
History of this document
13 April 1977 this version
Published in South African Government Gazette number 5504
25 March 1977