Namibian Transport Advisory Board Act, 1991
Act 23 of 1991
- Published in Government Gazette 324 on 19 December 1991
- Assented to on 5 December 1991
- Commenced on 19 December 1991
- [This is the version of this document from 11 June 1998 and includes any amendments published up to 1 December 2023.]
- [Amended by National Transport Advisory Board Amendment Act, 1998 (Act 12 of 1998) on 11 June 1998]
1. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise indicates -“Board” means the Namibian Transport Advisory Board established by section 2;“committee” means a committee of the Board established under section 7;“member”, in relation to the Board, means a member of the Board appointed under section 5 and, for the purposes of sections 8 and 9 includes an alternate member appointed under section 6;“Minister” means the Minister of Works, Transport and Communication;“Permanent Secretary” means the Permanent Secretary: Works, Transport and Communication;“public service” means the public service mentioned in section 2 of the Public Service Act, 1980 (Act 2 of 1980).[The Public Service Act 2 of 1980 has been replaced by the Public Service Act 13 of 1995.]
2. Establishment of Namibian Transport Advisory BoardThere is hereby established a board to be known as the Namibian Transport Advisory Board.
3. Objects of BoardThe objects of the Board shall be the development, promotion and encouragement of transport in Namibia and the co-ordination of transport services in Namibia in order to ensure that transport services are carried on and maintained in, from or to Namibia in the best interest of Namibia and its inhabitants in the most effective and economic manner.
4. Functions of BoardIn order to achieve its objects the Board shall make such investigations as it may deem necessary, and shall advise the Minister generally or in respect of a particular case, in relation to -
5. Composition of Board
6. Alternate members of BoardThe Minister may, with due regard to the provisions of section 5, appoint for every member an alternate member, and an alternate member so appointed shall act in the place of the member in respect of whom he or she has been appointed during such member’s absence or inability to act as a member.
7. Committees of Board
8. Term of office and conditions of service of members of Board
9. Vacation of officesA member shall vacate his or her office if -(a)his or her estate is sequestrated or he or she compromises with his or her creditors;(b)he or she is in accordance with any law detained as a mentally ill person;(c)he or she is convicted of an offence and sentenced to a term of imprisonment without the option of a fine;(d)he or she by written notice to the Permanent Secretary resigns as a member;(e)he or she has been absent from two consecutive meetings of the Board without its leave;(f)he or she is removed from office under subsection (2).
10. Meetings of Board
11. Performance of administrative functions of Board
12. Investigations by Board
13. Expenditure by BoardThe expenditure incidental to the performance of the functions of the Board shall, subject to the provisions of the State Finance Act, 1982 (Act 1 of 1982), be defrayed from moneys appropriated by law for that purpose.[The State Finance Act 1 of 1982 has been replaced by the State Finance Act 31 of 1991.]
14. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations in relation to any matter which the Minister may deem necessary or expedient to prescribe for achieving the objects of this Act.
15. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Namibian Transport Advisory Board Act, 1991.
History of this document
11 June 1998 this version
19 December 1991
05 December 1991