Dissolution of Marriages on Presumption of Death Act, 1993
Act 31 of 1993
- Published in Government Gazette no. 768 on 20 December 1993
- Assented to on 6 December 1993
- Commenced on 20 December 1993
- [This is the version of this document from 20 December 1993 and includes any amendments published up to 6 October 2022.]
1. Declaration of dissolution of marriages by High Court on presumption of deathWhenever an order presuming the death of a married person is made by the High Court of Namibia, that court may, when making such order or at any time thereafter, on the application of that person’s spouse, make an order that the marriage in question shall be deemed to have been dissolved by death on a date determined by that court, and thereupon that marriage shall for all purposes be deemed to have been dissolved by death on the date so determined.
2. Effect of certain findings made at an inquestWhere at an inquest held under the Inquests Act, 1993 (Act 6 of 1993) in respect of the death of a married person, any finding in respect of that death has, by virtue of the provisions of subsection (2) or (3) of section 21 of that Act, the effect of an order of the High Court of Namibia presuming the death of the person concerned, the marriage in question shall for all purposes be deemed to have been dissolved by death on the date of death of the said person as recorded in terms of section 18(2)(c) of that Act.
3. Repeal of Act 23 of 1979The Dissolution of Marriages on Presumption of Death Act, 1979 (Act 23 of 1979) is repealed.
4. Short titleThis Act shall be called the Dissolution of Marriages on Presumption of Death Act, 1993.
History of this document
20 December 1993 this version
Published in Government Gazette number 768
06 December 1993