Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund Act, 2000
Act 26 of 2000
- Published in Government Gazette 2457 on 27 December 2000
- Assented to on 21 December 2000
- Commenced on 15 May 2002 by Commencement of the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund Act, 2000
- [This is the version of this document from 27 December 2000 and includes any amendments published up to 1 December 2023.]
Part I – PRELIMINARY
1. DefinitionsIn this Act, unless the context otherwise indicates -“additional member of the Board” means an additional member of the Board appointed under section 6(2)(a);“agreement” means a written agreement referred to in section 18(1);“approved institution of higher education” means an institution of higher education approved by the Minister under section 2;“banking institution” means a banking institution authorised under the Banking Institutions Act, 1998 (Act No. 2 of 1998), to conduct business as such;“Board” means the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund Board referred to in section 5;“financial assistance” means financial assistance provided to a student under an agreement in order to enable such student to defray, either wholly or in part, costs connected with his or her education within the meaning of this Act;“financial year” means the financial year of the Fund referred to in section 14(1);“Fund” means the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund established by section 3(1);“higher education” means all learning programmes leading to qualifications higher than grade 12 or its equivalent, and includes tertiary education as contemplated in Article 20(4) of the Namibian Constitution;“Minister” means the Minister responsible for Higher Education;“prescribed” means prescribed by regulation made under section 20;“student” means a person who -(a)is a Namibian citizen; and(b)is eligible for admission or is admitted for a course of study at an approved institution of higher education;“this Act” includes the regulations made under section 20.
2. Approval of institutions of higher educationThe Minister may from time to time by notice in the Gazette approve one or more institutions of higher education in respect of which students can, for the purposes of this Act, qualify for consideration for financial assistance.
Part II – ESTABLISHMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF FUND
3. Establishment of Fund
4. Object of FundThe object of the Fund is to provide financial assistance, subject to this Act, to students in order -
5. Management and control of FundThe affairs of the Fund shall be managed and controlled by a board to be known as the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund Board, which shall exercise the powers and perform the duties and functions conferred or imposed upon the Board by or under this Act.
6. Constitution of Board
7. Tenure and vacation of office
8. Disclosure of interest
9. Meetings and decisions of Board
10. Powers, duties and functions of BoardSubject to this Act, the Board shall be accountable and responsible for the proper management, administration and control of the financial and other affairs of the Fund, and may do or cause to be done all or any of such things that are necessary or reasonably required for or incidental to the carrying into effect of the object of the Fund, and more specifically (but without derogating from the generality of the foregoing) may -
11. Committees of Board
12. Secretariat to Board
Part III – FINANCIAL MATTERS OF FUND
13. Bank account
14. Financial year, bookkeeping and accounting, and unexpended balances
15. Annual statements and auditing
16. Exemption of Fund from certain taxes, duties and leviesNo income or any other tax or duty or levy imposed under any law shall be payable by the Fund.
Part IV – PROVISIONS RELATING TO FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
17. Application for financial assistanceAny student may, subject to this Act, apply in writing to the Board for financial assistance in the manner and on an application form determined by the Board under section 10(i).
18. Conditions for granting of financial assistance
Part V – MISCELLANEOUS
19. Limitation of liabilityNo liability shall attach to the Fund, or, in his or her personal capacity, any member or alternate member of the Board (including an additional member of the Board), any member of a committee of the Board or any employee referred to in section 12(1) in respect of anything done or omitted in the bona fide performance of any function in terms of this Act.
20. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations not inconsistent with this Act with regard to any matter which the Minister may deem necessary or expedient to prescribe in order to achieve or promote the object of this Act or to effectively administer this Act, including, but not limited to -
21. Rules of the BoardThe Board may, with the approval of the Minister, make rules not inconsistent with this Act relating to -
22. Short title and commencementThis Act shall be called the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund Act, 2001, and shall come into operation on a date to be fixed by the Minister by notice in the Gazette.
History of this document
15 May 2002
27 December 2000 this version
21 December 2000
|General Regulations, 2001||Government Notice 246 of 2001|
Cited documents 1
Documents citing this one 10
- Namibia Government Gazette dated 2014-10-13 number 5588
- Namibia Government Gazette dated 2016-03-04 number 5965
- Namibia Government Gazette dated 2018-09-10 number 6708
- Namibia Government Gazette dated 2018-11-30 number 6784
- Namibia Government Gazette dated 2019-08-01 number 6965
- Namibia Government Gazette dated 2019-10-01 number 7009
- Fire Tech System CC v Namibia Airports Company Limited and Others (APPEAL 330 of 2014)  NAHCMD 220 (22 July 2016)
- Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund v Konghola (HC-MD-CIV-ACT-DEL 2655 of 2021)  NAHCMD 5 (23 January 2023)
- Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund v Nghiwete (HC-MD-LAB-APP-AAA 56 of 2021)  NALCMD 50 (16 September 2022)