Further Suspension of Operation of Provisions of Certain Laws and Ancillary Matters Regulations
Proclamation 18 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette no. 7204 on 4 May 2020
- Assented to on 4 May 2020
- Commenced on 4 May 2020
- [This is the version of this document from 1 June 2020 and includes any amendments published up to 6 October 2022.]
Part 1 – Preliminary matters
1. DefinitionsIn these regulations a word or an expression to which a meaning has been given in the Regulations or in an affected law bears that meaning and, unless the context indicates otherwise -"affected law" means any law set out in Part 2, whose provisions are suspended or in any way affected by any provision of a regulation made under these regulations;"direction" means a direction issued by the Chief Justice under regulation 14 of the Regulations;"specified period" means the specified period referred to in regulation 1 of the Regulations;"State of Emergency" means the State of Emergency that was declared by the President by Proclamation No. 7 of 18 March of 2020, and which came into effect on 17 March 2020;"the Regulations" means the State of Emergency-COVID-19 Regulations published under Proclamation No. 17 of 4 May of 2020.
2. Purpose of regulationsThe purpose of these regulations is to -
Part 2 – Suspension of operation of provisions of certain laws
3. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of Magistrates’ Courts Act, 1944
4. Suspension of operation of provision of Price Control Act, 1964The Minister, despite section 2 of the Price Control Act, 1964 (Act No. 25 of 1964) that requires the minister to appoint a price controller subject to the laws governing the public service, may appoint a price controller for the duration of the State of Emergency, without complying with the requirements of that section.
5. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of Criminal Procedure Act, 1977
6. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of Supreme Court Act, 1990
7. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of High Court Act, 1990
8. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of Social Security Act, 1994
9. Suspension of operation of provision of Identification Act, 1996The operation of section 14(2) of the Identification Act, 1996 is suspended for the duration of the State of Emergency, except that that the Minister may, whenever he or she considers it necessary, disclose specific information such as the name, surname and identity number of any person contained in the Population Register for Namibia to any institution, public or private, for the validation and verification of such information for the purpose of payment of any grant made available by the State.
10. ***[regulation 10 repealed by section 2 of Proclamation 22 of 2020]
11. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of Standards Act, 2005The Namibian Standards Institution may, for the duration of the State of Emergency, under section 20(1) of the of the Standards Act, 2005 (Act No. 18 of 2005) set, establish, and issue a Namibian Standard or amend or withdraw a Namibian Standard issued under that section, without having to follow the procedures for the setting, establishing, issuing, amending or withdrawing of a Namibian standard as set out in the standards regulations published under Government Notice No. 249 of 20 September 2005.
12. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of Labour Act, 2007[subregulations (1) to (6) deleted by section 3 of Proclamation 22 of 2020]
13. Suspension of operation of provision of Correctional Service Act, 2012The provisions of section 77 (1) (a) of the Correctional Services Act, 2012 (Act No. 9 of 2012), and of any related subsidiary legal instrument issued under that Act or the authority of that Act, relating to the receiving of visitors at correctional facilities, are suspended for the duration of the specified period.
14. Suspension of operation of certain provisions of Public Procurement Act, 2015
Part 3 – General provisions relating to time periods and related matters
15. Provisions relating to expiry of licenses, permits and other authorisations
16. Validity of actions taken prior to suspension of operation of provisions of certain laws
History of this document
01 June 2020 this version
04 May 2020
Published in Government Gazette number 7204
Commences.Read this version